Starboard decking complete!

Erik here-

Let's see, when was the last time I did a post about the Great Auk? ... Aha! June...  I crack myself up with that picture of Karl. 

It's been a long summer, with not a whole lot of time to work on the boat. Aside from anticipating the expense of fiberglass, I've been working too much, spent a week in San Diego and several weekends in the mountains. Then had a bad oil spill in the garage. After that experience, I can't recommend an epoxy garage floor enough. The little bit of oil that hit the raw concrete was a total pain to clean in comparison. 

We finally had a holiday, so I cleaned up and got back to work. I finally closed in the decking on the starboard side; and only a few strips to go on the port side. Sometime between now next weekend I hope to finish that up. That leaves the cockpit recess, the combing, stem pieces, fairing, and fiberglass.


The above pic shows all my main 'touches,' the inlay trapezoids are jatoba - a purplish brazilian cherry. The hull has a lighter cedar tail joined to the darker red spanish cedar - which goes all the way to the bow. Fore of the cockpit the deck has two strips along the midline of a brown maple. I got a little excited, removed some staples, and did some planing on the starboard side. You can see it's a lot smoother in the next pic. 


This one also shows off the line from bow to stern... yeah, I used a laser. 

On the port side you can see my rough-hewn decking that still needs to be trimmed flush once the glue dries. The biggest thing I've learned with this process is that whatever you can do to make it end up so you trim something flush - totally worth it. Future boats will always use a stem-piece for the bow/stern joints of the hull for this reason.

Here's some oblig pics from our summer/fall. We went to the Greenbank observatory in WVA, and they had a replica of Karl Jansky's antenna array. 


Claire and I celebrated our 6th anniversary at spring friends in Snow Camp NC


Our big trip this summer was to San Diego. Here's the best pic from the trip. I have a lot more, but I'll spare you, Internet.


Finally, I call this picture "big bro."


Coming soon: thanksgiving turkey in a pineapple based brine! Claire just commented "I'm hungry." 

No comments: