To Mom


Dear Mom,
I don't have the money to send you flowers through the mail and the gift that Karl made can wait until we see you again.  However, I thought you might like to know that I appreciate you and all that you have done to make my life better.

You gave birth to me (and I know how hard that is!) and from that moment on every problem that I had was put on your shoulders.  Thanks for making sure that I was taken care of physically and emotionally at such a young age.

You let me play and be a kid.  So many children now, it seems, are over scheduled and don't have time to imagine and be outside.  I still remember playing house outside in our big magnolia tree in North Carolina, hiking around Monterey, holding on to your back as you swam laps at the Y, sitting with Elizabeth while we created elaborate Barbie houses, playing kick the can, and generally being forced outside when TV held a greater appeal.  Thank you for making me appreciate playing.

You made me polite.  Elizabeth reminded me the other day that before we would go to a friend's house you would go through a monologue similar to this:

"Who are you?  That's right a Lohr-Myers.  And what do Lohr-Myers' do?  Yes, we say 'please' and 'thank you', we eat what is prepared, we share, and we are nice people."

The other day when Karl was going to spend the night at Nana's house I stopped him and we went through this little talk together.  What a great way to remind us what was expected.  Even when I was a picky eater I never outright snubbed a dinner (I may have just pushed around the food, but I wasn't rude).  



You taught me to fight fairly (sibling fighting excluded).  When I told you that I wanted to marry Erik the only question you asked was "Is someone always apologizing during your fights?" We don't always succeed in avoiding an argument, but we do our best to listen to the other side.  It's worked our pretty well :) 

You made me a better Mom.  You weren't perfect and neither am I.  What I am, however, is a well adjusted adult who knows how to express love to my own children.  My life is better because you raised me and my children's lives will be better thanks to you.  Thanks Mom.  I wouldn't be here or who I am without you.  

Love,
Lexa





No comments: